Oops! You don't have Javascript enabled. Some features on this site might not work correctly.

History

The Southern Polytechnic College of Engineering and Engineering Technology has a history deep-rooted in innovation and education advancement. After WWII, the need for technicians grew and in response the then president of Georgia Tech sought to establish a technical institute program in Georgia. In March 1948, our roots began as The Technical Institute. Their first registration began with 116 students (all but 10 were WWII veterans) and a staff of 12. After just one year, The Technical Institute was renamed to Southern Technical Institute and was recognized as a college-level school with the US Department of Education.

By 1961, the college had outgrown its footprint in Chamblee, GA and moved to its now current location of Marietta, GA. Southern Technical Institute became accredited as a four-year college in 1970 and was one of the first colleges in the nation to offer a BS in Engineering Technology. By the summer of 1980, The Southern Technical Institute achieved independence within the USG by ending ties with Georgia Tech.

1996 the school once again renamed itself to Southern Polytechnic State University and on November 1, 2013 the Georgia Board of Regents made plans to consolidate SPSU into Kennesaw State University, leveraging both campuses and offerings to better reach and educate the next generation. And on July 1, 2015 the Southern Polytechnic College of Engineering and Engineering Technology was established as a college under KSU in memorial of the former SPSU.

©
Assistive Options

Top of page


Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.