Admission, Progression, and Retention
The Human Services (HS) major requires students to maintain an Institutional GPA (formerly KSU AGPA) of 2.80 or higher to progress through the major. This policy now requires updated retention and dismissal policies (see below).
Human Services Program Admission Requirements
In order to be accepted as a major in Human Services, students must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum Institutional GPA (formerly KSU AGPA) of 2.80
- Completed the following courses with a “C” or greater:
- ENGL 1101 or ENGL 1102
- MATH 1107
- ECON 1000
- PSYC 1101 or POLS 2212
- SOCI 1101
- HS 2100, HS 2200, HS 2300, and HS 2400
After completing the above criteria for acceptance:
- Apply to the Human Services Program using the online application
- Applications are reviewed as they are submitted to Human Services.
- Applicants will receive an e-mail response to their KSU email of acceptance or denial within two weeks of the online submission.
- Upon notification of acceptance to the major (by email), students must complete the application requirements by scheduling an advisement session with the WellStar College Advising Center.
- Upon denial of acceptance to the major (by email), students are encouraged to meet with the WellStar College Advising Center, if desired, to review reason for denial and develop a plan in order to be eligible to reapply to the major.
Application Deadlines for the Human Services Major
The B.S. in Human Services utilizes deadlines for program admission. Students who are in their final semester of completing the required courses for program admission should go ahead and apply for admission into the program by the deadline given to ensure timely receipt and response.
Current KSU Students
Fall Semester: June 1 (for admission and registration for fall semester)
Spring Semester: October 1 (for admission and registration for spring semester
Summer Semester: February 1 (for admission and registration for summer semester)
Transfer Students to KSU
Fall Semester: July 1
Spring Semester: December 1
Summer Semester: May 1
- Applicants will be informed of their application status within 2 – 3 weeks after the deadline to allow for final semester grades to post and application review to occur.
- Accepted students should plan to attend a required program orientation shortly thereafter.
- Accepted majors are expected to enroll in HS 3000 Foundation Internship within two semesters of their program acceptance.