CLEP Testing Program
Earn college credit for what you already know through this credit-by-examination program. The College-Level Examination Program®, or CLEP, offers 33 computer-based exams in history and social sciences, composition and literature, science and math, business, and world languages. The CSU Testing Center is an open CLEP center, which means we administer CLEP exams to any registered test taker. Check with your college or university to learn which CLEP exams are accepted. Official score reports are sent by CLEP about 3 weeks after testing.
At CSU, scores and credit are based on Pass/Fail, not letter grades. Click here for a list of the CLEP tests accepted by CSU.
For details on each test, including study material, go to the CLEP web page.
To take a CLEP test, follow these steps:
1. Purchase your exam at the CLEP web page through the My Account Registration portal. You must bring your CLEP registration ticket to your appointment.
2. Schedule your appointment to take the test. You will pay the administrative fee of $30 when you schedule your appointment.
On Exam Day:
When you report to the CSU Testing Center, you must present:
- A valid registration ticket from the My Account (CLEP) registration portal
- Your driver's license, passport or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature. The last name on your ID must match the name on your registration ticket. Unacceptable IDs include credit or debit cards of any kind, social security card, employee ID.
- Military test-takers, bring your military ID and Social Security card.
- Home-schoolers, if you do not have the required government-issued ID, please complete a CLEP Student ID Form, which is valid for one year. The form must be accompanied by a recognizable photo, with a school or notary seal overlapping the photo. The form must be signed in front of a school official or notary.
If you fail to bring your registration ticket and required IDs, you will not be permitted to test and will forfeit your fees.
Test is free for qualified military personnel. This link will also list the ID requirements.
To schedule your appointment: Click here to indicate you have read the above information, have purchased your CLEP exam, and are ready to schedule your testing appointment. Select CLEP from the dropdown menu.