ISSAC is the International Saxophone Symposium and Competition, a biennial event that takes place at Columbus State University's Schwob School of Music in the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts in Columbus, Georgia, USA. ISSAC 2014 will take place on October 23-26, 2014.
ISSAC is an international solo saxophone competition where many of the most gifted young saxophonists in the world will perform in the three live competition rounds. In addition to the competition, ISSAC features a saxophone symposium with a large exhibit hall, a recital and masterclass by Vincent David, and a separate masterclass by Kenneth Tse.
ISSAC 2014 is preceded by a special event: A concert featuring Branford Marsalis with the Philadelphia Chamber Orchestra will take place in the RiverCenter's Legacy Hall on the evening of Wednesday, October 22.
ISSAC was created in 2012 as an opportunity for exceptional saxophonists to perform in an international competition setting in North America and also to celebrate saxophone playing of the highest calibre. ISSAC draws saxophonists and saxophone enthusiasts from every corner of the globe.
All of the advanced rounds of the competition are live and open to the public.
Here is the general schedule for ISSAC 2014:
• Wednesday, October 22: Pre-ISSAC concert featuring Branford Marsalis with the Philadelphia Chamber Orchestra, 7:30pm, Legacy Hall
(tickets are $50; registered ISSAC participants can purchase a single ticket for $25; all tickets must be purchased via the RiverCenter Box Office)
• Thursday, October 23: Preliminary Round 10:00am-5:00pm, Legacy Hall
• Friday, October 24:
- Preliminary Round 8:30am-4:00pm, Legacy Hall
- Exhibit Hall 10:00am-1:00pm and 2:00pm-5:00pm, room 1716
- Kenneth Tse masterclass 4:30pm-6:30pm, Studio Theatre
- Vincent David in concert with pianist Inara Zandmane, 8:00pm, Legacy Hall, Selmer reception following this concert
• Saturday, October 25:
- Semi-Final Round 9:00am-12:15pm, Legacy Hall
- Exhibit Hall 10:00am-4:00pm, room 1716
- Vincent David masterclass 2:30pm-4:30pm, Studio Theatre
- Selmer presentation by Florent Milhaud 4:30pm-6:00pm, Studio Theatre
• Sunday, October 26:
- Final Round 9:00am-1:00pm, Legacy Hall (featuring the world premiere of Dan Trueman's new concerto for saxophone and percussion
ensemble to be performed by each of the 6 Finalists with the CSU Percussion Ensemble)
- Awards Ceremony 1:00pm, Legacy Hall
Please follow the links along the left for more specific information about each component of ISSAC 2014.