Quality Matters Program images Quality Matters™ (QM) is a faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online and blended courses. QM has been chosen by Columbus State University (CSU) as the standard for quality course design in our online courses. QM is a leader in quality assurance for online education and has received national recognition for its peer-based approach to continuous improvement in online education and student learning. The QM programs includes:
- Faculty-centered, continuous improvement models for assuring the quality of online courses through peer review
- Professional development workshops and certification courses for instructors and online learning professionals
- Rubrics for applying quality standards to course design
Columbus State University is part of the University System of Georgia Consortium subscription. Learn more about Quality Matters.
CSU faculty who wish to teach fully online are required to complete the first course, Applying the QM Rubric. Upon registration, the Center of Online Learning will send you a copy of the QM Workbook. To request a replacement copy of the QM Workbook, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
This article also has information on:
- QM Sponsered Courses and Workshops
- CSU's Quality Matters Reimbursements and Stipends
- How to sign up for QM Training
- QM Certified Courses at CSU
- Other QM Resources
QM Courses and Workshops
Quality Matters provides online professional development opportunities. Listed below are the QM courses that are available for reimbursement and stipend. QM also offers other professional development opportunities to help with the improvement of online course design. Review QM's Workshop & Course Descriptions for more information about these opportunities.
CSU faculty are required to complete the Applying the QM Rubric workshop prior to teaching their first online course. In addition to this first course, there are additional professional development opportunities which have monetary incentives attached. Review the list of courses that have reimbursements and attached stipends below.
For the convenience of the faculty at CSU, COOL occasionally hosts live, face to face QM workshops and training on campus. Click on the available training course below to see more information and check availability.
- Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR)
Quality Matters Reimbursement and Stipend
Quality Matters provides online professional development opportunities. Listed below are the QM courses that are available for reimbursement and stipend. QM also offers other professional development opportunities to help with the improvement of online course design, but only the ones listed below are currently being reimbursed.
Each course is linked to its description on QM's webpage. Detailed instructions for how to sign up are located in the next section.
Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR)
- $200 Reimbursement
- $200 Stipend
Peer Reviewer Course (PRC) (prerequisite APPQMR)
- $200 Reimbursement
- $400 Stipend
Master Reviewer Certification (MRC) (prerequisite APPQMR and PRC)
- $300 Reimbursement
- $800 Stipend
There are two parts to the Quality Matters course reimbursement:
- Reimbursement of registration costs - To be reimbursed for your registration cost, you must submit a Request for Reimbursement form along with a copy of your receipt showing payment of the registration fee. The reimbursement will be paid via a check from Accounting. It is not taxable.
- Stipend for course completion - To receive the stipend for completing the course, you must submit a Request for Additional Payment form along with a copy of your course completion certificate. The stipend will be added to your next paycheck. It is considered additional compensation and is, therefore, taxable.
Please submit your completed forms and documentation by mail or e-mail to Terry Moshier, Office of the Provost or email@example.com
Sign-Up For Quality Matters Training
To register for online training, you must first create a MyQM account.
To sign up for a workshop:
- Roll your cursor over Higher Education
- Select "Professional Development" from the drop-down menu
- Click the on " Workshops & Course Descriptions"
- Click the link for the workshop you'd like to register
To sign up for the QM Rubric Update*:
- Log in to MyQM
- Click on Professional Development drop-down menu
- Select Workshops from the menu
- Click the Register link under the Higher Ed APPQMR blue icon
- Click the Register link next to the Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR) workshop you'd like to attend.
*NOTE: There is a $50 charge for the QM Rubric Update course if not completed by December 31, 2014. Once completed it is reimbursed through the Provost's Office.
We will also be offering another face-to-face opportunity in October for faculty to complete the required Quality Matters training for teaching online. It will be offered on Saturday, October 14th. The benefits of completing it face-to-face are:
- No up front registration fee.
- Complete it in 1 day rather than the 2 weeks needed for the online version.
- Completed participants will still receive the $200 stipend.
- Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
- Participants will be entered to win an iPad.*
The sessions will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and located in the Center of Online Learning Training Lab 005.
Please register to attend.
QM Certified Courses at Columbus State University
The following courses have gone through QM review and are officially recognized as QM certified courses:
- ACCT 2101: Principles of Accounting I (Joni Hammond)
- ACCT 2102: Principles of Accounting II (Uma Sridharan)
- BUSA 2115: Introduction to Business (Robert Dunn)
- BUSA 3135: International Business (John Finley)
- COMM 1110: Communication (Sherrie Gilbert)
- COMM 1110: Communication (Youngrak Park)
- COMM 2137: Introduction to Mass Communication (Youngrak Park)
- COMM 3125: Modern Media and Culture (Chris McCollough)
- COMM 3141: Introduction to Public Relations (Chris McCollough)
- COMM 3146: Political Communication (Chris McCollough)
- COMM 4105: Networked Communication (Chris McCollough)
- CRJU 3155: Juvenile Delinquency (Sung-Hun Byun)
- CPSC 6016: Fundamentals of Computer Programming and Data Structures (Rania Hodhod)
- ECON 2106: Principles of Microeconomics (Tesa Leonce)
- EDAT 6115: Knowledge of Students and Their Learning (Jennifer Brown)
- EDAT 6226: Curriculum Design for Student (Jennifer Brown)
- EDEC 6125: Developing Mathematical Thinking in the Early Childhood Classroom (Jan Burcham)
- EDEC 7147: Investigating Problems in ECE (Luz Bersh)
- EDSE 6212: Assessment Second Education II (Jennifer Brown)
- ENGL 2111: World Literature I (Susan Hrach)
- ENGL 2112: World Literature II (Jim Owen)
- FINC 3105: Managerial Fianance (Brett Cotten)
- ITDS 2795: Lead Learners: Peer Tutors and Mentors (Elliot Rendleman)
- MGMT 4116: International Management (Jong Ha)
- MISM 3115: Principles of Information Technology Management (Jennifer Pitts)
- MKTG 3115: Principles of Marketing (Sungwoo Jung)
- MKTG 3136: Advertising and Promotional Strategy (Sungwoo Jung)
- NURS 3191: Professional Clinical Nursing RN I (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 3192: Professional Development Perspectives RN I (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 3194 Applied Pathophysiology RN (Sherika Derico)
- NURS 3195: Evidence Based Practice RN (Sherika Derico)
- NURS 3293: Intro to Health Assessment RN (Sherika Derico)
- NURS 3555: Topics in Professional Nursing (Sherika Derico)
- NURS 3555: Topics in Professional Nursing (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 3555: Topics in Professional Nursing (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 4192: Professional Development Perspectives RN II (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 4292: Professional Clinical Nursing RN II (Amanda Hawkins)
- NURS 4698: Senior Project RN (Sherika Derico)
- NURS 6127: Scient Underpin of AP Role (Aimee Vael)
- PSYC 2103: Lifespan Development Psych (Diana Riser)
- SOCI 1101: Introduction to Sociology (Thomas Dailey)
- SOCI 3508: Selected Topics in Sociology, Homelessness and Poverty (Thomas Dailey)
Also See QM courses recognized across all institutions that subscribe to QM.
Courses are currently being QM certified at Columbus State University through the Online Course Improvement Grant process. If you would like to have your course QM certified, visit Online Course Improvement Grant for more information.
Other QM Resources
- Quality Matters Rubric and Resources (only standard lists and point values are available, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for a QM workbook with the full rubric).
- Listing of Quality Matter's Workshops and Courses
- Online Course Improvement Grants with QM Certification
- QM maintains a variety of social media presences. You can follow QM on any of the following social media sites: