Family Status Changes and Qualifying Life Events
Certain life occurrences may necessitate mid-year changes in benefits status or enrollment. An employee who experiences one of the occurrences listed below can make benefits enrollment changes within 30 days of the event.
Documentation must be submitted to HR to verify the event. In addition, dependent verification documentation may also be required. Employees who do not initiate Family Status Changes within the 30 day window must wait until the annual Benefits Open Enrollment Period to make changes.
- A change in your marital status;
- The birth or adoption of a child (including stepchildren and legally placed foster children);
- The death of a covered dependent;
- A change in the employment status of a covered member, his/her spouse, or his/her covered dependent(s), that affects eligibility for coverage under a cafeteria or other qualified healthcare plan;
- The loss of eligibility status by a covered dependent;
- A campus approved leave of absence without pay (maximum of 12 months);
- You and/or your spouse being called to full-time active military service/duty;
- Losing or gaining healthcare coverage eligibility under Medicare or Medicaid;
- A change in residence to a location outside of a healthcare plan’s service area;
- Healthcare plan election choices made by spouses with different employers in which the employers have a different healthcare plan years