SSN and ITIN Procedures

Social Security Number (SSN) and Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN)

Foreign national individuals, both resident aliens and nonresident aliens, may have either a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

  • A Social Security Number (SSN) is a nine-digit number assigned by the Social Security Administration to an individual for tax and wage reporting purposes.
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a nine-digit number assigned to an individual who is required to have a tax identification number, but who cannot obtain a Social Security Number. The ITIN is for tax reporting purposes only.

Social Security Number (SSN)

How do I get one?

To apply for a Social Security number (SSN) and card, you need to complete Form SS-5. The form and instructions are available on the Social Security website. Or, you can obtain Form SS-5 calling or visiting your local Social Security office. These services are free.

Social Security Local Office:

1395 South Marietta Parkway
Suite 130, Building 100
Marietta, GA 30067

T: 800.772.1213
TTY: 800.325.0778

Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

How do I get one?

IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) application requirements have changed.

To apply for an ITIN, you must now have a filing requirement and file a valid tax return.

An ITIN is for tax purposes only; it is not valid for personal identification. If you are legally employed in the U.S. you must have an SSN and should not apply for an ITIN.

To apply for an ITIN:

  1. Complete Form W-7 (February 2008 revision), Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, and
  2. Attach your completed federal tax return (Form 1040NR or 1040NREZ, with any Forms W-2, 1099 and/or 1042S); and
  3. Provide original proof of identity documents or certified copies. (See Form W-7 instructions.)
  4. Finally, mail all of the above to:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

For information regarding Form W-7, contact:
Internal Revenue Service
T: 800.829.1040

The ITIN does NOT:

  • Entitle the recipient to social security benefits
  • Indicate or validate immigration status
  • Authorize employment

If you are legally employed in the U.S. you must have an SSN and should not apply for an ITIN.

Contact International Services

If you have questions or require additional information, email:

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.