Birla Carbon Scholars
Birla Carbon logo Thanks to a generous donation from Birla Carbon, the world's largest manufacturer and supplier of Carbon Black, the College of Science and Mathematics (CSM) at Kennesaw State University is excited to announce the Birla Carbon cholars Program.
- Full time student, pursuing a degree in the College of Science and Mathematics
- Undergraduate: freshmen, sophomore or junior
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Completed online application, sponsoring faculty recommendation letter and full abstract submitted by deadline
- 2017 Birla Carbon Symposium Participation
Completed online application, faculty recommendation letter and full abstract will begin to be accepted on Wednesday, February 1, 2017. A completed online application must be submitted ONLY via online form submission. The sponsoring faculty recommendation letter and full abstract must be submitted ONLY via email to BirlaScholars@kennesaw.edu.
- Final submission deadline is Friday, March 3, 2017 (5:00pm EST).
- Selected recipients will be notified via email by Friday, March 24, 2017.
Advantages of becoming a Birla Carbon Scholar
- STIPEND: Ten selected recipients will receive a total summer stipend of $4,000! This will be paid in two installments: $2,000 at the beginning of the project and the remaining at the project’s completion.
- MENTORSHIP: Recipients will work with their sponsoring faculty member on their proposed undergraduate research project during the 10-week summer program, which will run Monday, June 5 - Friday, August 11, 2017.
- EXPOSURE: Recipients will present their final research project at the 2017 Birla Carbon Symposium on Tuesday, August 29, 2017. The Birla Carbon Team judges will select the top student presentation, who will receive an additional $2,000 to use towards travel expenses to present his/her research at a national scientific conference, the next academic year.
About Birla Carbon
Birla Carbon is a flagship business of the USD 40 Billion Aditya Birla Group, an Indian conglomerate with leading presence in Tires, Rubbers, Plastics, Inks, and Paints industries globally. The Group operates in 36 countries with employee strength of over 120,000 belonging to 42 different nationalities. Birla Carbon's Technology Laboratories are located in Marietta, GA and Mumbai, India.
Previous Birla Carbon Scholar Recipients
2017 Birla Carbon Scholars
Photos of the 2017 Birla Carbon Scholars (top left, clockwise): Beryl Khakina, Ian Duncan, Hayley Milner, Neil Dodd, Kaylee Bronson, Kevin Patel, Kaveh Kiani, Reagan Hooper, Rahiq Rahman and Rebecca Webster. (LEFT) Photo of the 2017 Birla Carbon Scholars Program recipients
Top left (clockwise): Beryl Khakina, Ian Duncan, Hayley Milner, Neil Dodd, Kaylee Bronson, Kevin Patel, Kaveh Kiani, Reagan Hooper, Rahiq Rahman and Rebecca Webster.
Congratulations to Senior, Rebecca Webster, for winning the Top Poster Award!
2016 Birla Carbon ScholarsPhoto of the 2016 Birla Carbon Scholars recipients (top right, counter-clockwise): Courtney Willett, Katerina Slavicinska, Johnathon Ard, Elena Ninova, Graeme Bettler, Rebecca Hyche, Omar Ugarte Trejo, Danielle Varljen, David Axford, and Soprinye Dappa-Fombo
(LEFT) Photo of 2016 Birla Carbon Scholars Program recipients
Top right (counter-clockwise): Courtney Willett, Katerina Slavicinska, Johnathon Ard, Elena Ninova, Graeme Bettler, Rebecca Hyche, Omar Ugarte Trejo, Danielle Varljen, David Axford, and Soprinye Dappa-Fombo.
Congratulations to Sophomore, Katerina Slavicinska, for winning the Top Poster Award!Link to 2016 Birla Carbon Scholars news articles »
2015 Birla Carbon Scholars
2015 Birla Carbon Scholars (LEFT) Photo of 2015 Birla Carbon Scholars Program recipients:
Top left (clockwise): Myles Robinson, Tara Allen, Cody Padgett, Abdelsalam Sharkaski, Jacob Michelis, Kirt Ronig, Garrison Kohler, Aqsa Adnan, Eric Gabilondo and Sydney Green.
Congratulations to Junior, Eric Gabilondo, for winning the Birla Carbon Top Poster Award!
2014 Birla Carbon Scholars
Photo of Birla Carbon Scholars recipients
(LEFT) Photo of 2014 Birla Carbon Scholars Program recipients:
Top Row (Left to Right): Daniel Hoffman, Dennys Rosales, Maredith Sapp, Samuel Keenan, Bradley Norvel.
Bottom Row (Left to Right): Aaron Pital, Alberto Romero, Amber Caldara, James Law, Alden Lathrop.